Letters to a friend...




THIS PAGE HAS MY WRITINGS FROM MAY TO AUGUST,2005.
MY WRITINGS SINCE THEN ARE POSTED AT:

A Curious Mind W(o/a)nders...- http://ayanwonders.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Sub-optimal thinking

-
Hmm, have been thinking about thinking since sometime (the after-effect of a disastrous sleepless night followed by a dusastrous class maybe :-)) and as ususal I'm currently totally in tangles (that's the first step, I generally manage to untangle the tangles in due course, but sometimes my heart goes out for people who're involved with me during my tangled phase, how much they have to suffer, especially when I decide to share and argue my tangles out with them :-D)

When you're thinking (any topic, any field), how can you limit yourself to a boundary that's artificial and be happy with the solution. I mean you have to get to the extreme first... no constraints, no boundaries, no conditions...call it the ideal solution, the philosophical solution, the reasoning extreme...whatever you're comfortable with. Then impose the limits and constraints of your frame of reference, and you might get a solution which will satisfy you.

But most of us have imposed the conditions and constraints a-priori (A can't stand maths, so he'll explore only upto the non-mathematical realms; B can't be dishonest, so he'll explore only in the honest range; C can't stand philosophy, so he'll explore only in the non-philosophical range...come on it's reasoning, just reasoning...all these terms are human inventions, and how I wish they hadn't been invented...all these cups to hold the same wine and we're lost in the cups) So we're working happy with hopelessly sub-optimal solutions. I'm not saying you have to be dishonest or find philosophy in everything or so on.
What I'm saying is I'll reject Consciously, and conscious rejection can't happen till I know or explore that which I'm going to reject.

But sub-optimality works...you see it, don't you?
That most of us lead our lives on external judgements (did those judges give me the first prize, did my professor give me the highest marks, did my boss think my work as good...). So it's sub-optimality that is rewarded in the normal course of things 99% of the times (ok it's an arbit % value, I don't know the real figure :-)).

One way to break this cycle of sub-optimality is to create a solution so perfect, so beautiful, that the members in the sub-optimal system realise the perfection of it and decide by themselves to change. Einstein's relativity was such an acme, so was Tagore's prose and poetry in Bengali literature, and so was Satyajit Ray's cinematic paradigm for Indian cinema.

But most of us - with our reward system surrendered to external entities - will hopelessly look for the next messaiah to uplift us throughout our life (and till that happens maybe we wouldn't even know that we can be uplifted...lost as we are in this cycle of sub-optimality) .

I'm going to sleep as you work out the tangles :-D

4 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Jaya said…

    Okay, wouldn't really get entangled into this discussion either. But just one thing. There might be an assumption in your view that the thinking process of the person you have entangled starts with that discussion itself. That might not be the case. And if you find that the person does not appear open to the discussion of optimal solution, it might be because the person has gone through that process of thinking/discussing optimal and then decided a sub-optimal and does not want to get into that again. Of course one can keep it doing for the whole life, but life has to move on!

    :)

     
  • At 7:35 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Ayan Bhattacharya said…

    I'm fine as long as somebody has explored the entire range of possibilities before deciding his/her sub-optimal (for most people this isn't the case).

    Ah, and since I haven't yet fully developed my skills of clairvoyance, it helps if a person entangled in my tangles mentions that he/she has gone through the entire range earlier and discusses relevant parts if the situation demands so...otherwise I find it it like a decision (which I don't understand or can't question) being imposed on me, and I inherently rebel against dictatorships :-)

     
  • At 11:01 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Jaya said…

    Well - nobody is imposing a decision on you. The person is taking a decision for himself/herself. And you do not have any rights of imposing your way of decision-making on them either! (How would one ever know what is the "entire range"??)

    Conflict is bound to arise if you are put in a situation where you *have* to agree on one thing. That would be an inevitability unless one person is given the right to decide. If it can not be resolved, part ways and let each one of them live on their own.

     
  • At 1:03 AM, April 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home